Sunday, December 25, 2011

NASSAU, BAHAMAS

December 24, 2011

Phyllis and I went out to pick up a few items that we needed for the yacht: new furling line, ink cartridges for our HP printer and groceries.  Then we took a bus ride into downtown  Nassau.  There were four big cruise ship in the harbor.  I figure about  2000 persons on each one for a total of 8000 tourists running around the center of town or gamboling over on Paradise Island.  In our opinion, Nassau isn't much to look at.  It has the ubiquitous jewelry stores, straw markets, restaurants and sundry bars.  Architecturally, there is nothing inspiring that I could see, however, a few hours isn't enough to be sure that there aren't a few hidden gems here and there.  Horrendous traffic and loud speakers blasting out the Bahamian version of hip-hop which is offensive to my ears. I like Caribbean music and rhythm but one doesn't here much of that here.  The big islands are so linked to the States that our influence is predominant.  There doesn't seem to be much agriculture grown on the islands.   Just about everything is imported from the States.  I've read that they produce pineapples on Eleuthera but I haven't seen any here.  Even the Bananas are Chiquita and come in on ships.  I believe that the coconuts, fish, conch and peanuts are local.  Perhaps, in the outer islands there is more produce grown locally.  I wouldn't waste my time on a trip to Nassau; Wx conditions brought us here.

No comments:

Post a Comment